I believe the barter system has real merits. And you should trust me because my undergraduate degree is in Economics.
So, I’m practically a know-it-all when it comes to financial issues.
Okay, okay stop laughing. However, I do have a real proposal to make that could earn millions for some tech geek visionary.
Some background is needed.
The other day I mentioned that I hate to mow the lawn (Please Don’t Make Me Mow The Lawn). I told you it was my least favorite chore for many reasonable reasons I liked to add. At the end of the post, I asked others to note chores they did not like.
Some people took me up on this and mentioned chores they don’t like. For example, JackB hates doing the dishes. Jesse Clemence hates cooking.
That’s cool. No judgment. To each his own.
Both of the bloggers mentioned above noted that they don’t mind mowing the lawn.
This got my mind moving.
What if we had an exchange? We all have chores we hate and chores we don’t mind. It’s the nature of the beast.
So, what if you did my chores and I did your chores? Pretty awesome – right?
Okay – it might not bring peace to the world, but if I did not have to mow the lawn, I would be a happier person.
Anyway, I did some research on Google and found there is nothing out there like this. There are similar business. One such business is called Task Rabbit where you can hire people hired to run errands. Another site, Do My Stuff, allows you to post a chore that needs doing and then individuals or businesses will bid on your proposal. Finally, I also found Agent Anything where you can get a college student to do your dirty work for you at an affordable rate.
Each of these services reuiqre you to pay someone to do your chores/errands.
And that is not what I am talking about.
On my site – The Chore Exhange – people would have a profile which includes chores they don’t want to complete and chores they are willing to do. People do your chore and you do theirs. No charge.
As part of my profile, here are the chores I want someone else to do.
1. Mow the lawn. I already told you about that, so there is no need to elaborate.
2. Go through mail. Remember when you were a kid and you loved when you got mail? Yeah, those days are long past. BR, by the way, loves to take in the mail and sort it. Of course, what he really wants is to receive mail. You should have seen his face when he got something from Publisher’s Clearing House. For a minute, he was convinced he won a million dollars.
3. Load and unload the dishwasher. Maybe, I’m not into the dishwasher because we didn’t use ours much when I was a kid. To me, it feels like extra work to load and unload the dishwasher. I’d rather just do the dishes.
Then, these are the chores I would be willing to do for someone else.
1. Food Shopping. If you have read at least 10 MMK posts, the you probably have heard me say, I don’t mind food shopping (Food Shopping). I’m also very good at it and if there were an Olympics for food shopping, I’m certain I would represent my country well.
2. Making the Bed. I enjoy making the bed. A bedroom looks neater when the bed is made. You have the challenge of making the covers lie evenly on each side and making sure there are no creases. Fun stuff!
3. Shoveling. I find shoveling snow invigorating. It always warms me up and leaves me feeling I’ve taken care of my land.
I’ve let you in on a Brilliant Idea before. I see the money rolling in for The Chore Exchange as well.
Now , I could go to the people at Shark Tank or other random venture capitalists. However, I choose you.
Whose with me?
Hmm, good idea, but I’m too much of an introvert to have anyone come to my place. 😉
I’m honored to have played a small part in your streak of genius. Will your site have geographical locations, like Craig’s list? Because I think 700 miles for a mowing swap is kind of steep.
Geographical locations are a must. Let’s get reasonable here.
I feel you’re onto something big…
Maybe I can be featured on your site. I’m ready to grant you an interview.
I love this idea 🙂
We have had a big discussion about chores in our house and in fact wrote about it last week 🙂 You might like it!
Cool, I’ll have to check it out.
I’m in! I’m in! I’ll be the N Texas location! That sounds awesome!!
Good. Know that you are starting a trend.
not a bad idea! I would mow lawns, I consider it a replacement for my daily walk. I would want someone to babysit.
There you go. That works.
I’m in, goodbye dishes, hello lawn mower.
I really don’t mind washing the dishes. I would be one to trade with you.
I’ve thought along these lines before, although mine would be more of a yard work co-op. I never knew there were websites for such things. Brilliant.
Sign me up!
And let me know when you open up your Florida location so I can sign up!
You got it!